What is informal child care?

You may choose to have a friend or a relative provide care for your child in your home. Or you may wish to have a relative care for your child in the relative's home. These are informal kinds of child care, and they are exempt from regulation under Maryland law. A friend or neighbor who occasionally "baby sits" your child in her home for short periods is also exempt from regulation -- The care provided is less than 20 hours per month.